Did you know today is National Pie Day??? I bought a ‘marketing’ calendar in December from Amazon thinking I was buying a daily planner – and that did not turn out to be the case 🤷♀️.
This calendar lists all the weird and quirky days of the year. You know – like National Pie Day. So to celebrate – I am sharing the recipe for my FAVORITE homemade lemon meringue pie with you!Jump to Recipe
Do you have a favorite pie? I kinda like all things lemon so it should be no surprise to you then that my favorite pie is Lemon Meringue Pie. I believe my mom always said it was my dad’s favorite too which makes it extra endearing to me!
I know it can be frustrating to click on a recipe post and have to read a really long drawn out post. So I am not going to sit here and tell you some emotional history I have with this particular type of pie… I am just going to get straight to the chase here with the recipe!!
What you need to make this homemade pie:
Here Is The Recipe For My Favorite Pie:
Lemon Meringue Pie
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 Tbs milk
Lemon Pudding Filling
- 1 box Jello Lemon Flavored Cook and Serve Pudding and Pie Filling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups water
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Mix flour and salt together in a medium mixing bowl
- Cut the softened butter into pieces and cut into flour mixture using a fork or pastry cutter
- Stir in milk with fork and then knead dough together with hands to make a ball
- Refrigerate for 1/2 -1 hour
- Put flour on countertop and roll out dough to the size of your pie dish
- Place carefully in pie dish and prep sides as desired – I just use my finger and thumb to add a slight wave to my sides
- Prick dough in many places with a fork – especially sides and corners
- Bake in a 450° oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool for about 30 minutes
- Mix pudding mix, sugar, egg yolks and ½ cup of water in a medium saucepan
- Add in remaining 2½ cups of water
- Bring to a boil on medium heat stirring constantly
- Turn stove off and set aside to cool for 5 minutes as you make the topping
- Beat 3 egg whites with electric mixer until foamy
- Gradually beat in ⅓ cup sugar until stiff peaks form
Put together pie:
- Pour lemon filling into baked pie shell
- Starting with the edges of the pie – drop meringue topping on top of lemon filling by the spoonful
- Make sure the meringue is going right up to the pie crust and is sealed to the edges of the crust
- Using the spoon – drop the rest of the meringue topping onto the filling and spread to connect all the drops
- Use the spoon to pull up the peaks
Bake in a 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned
- Cool completely at room temperature.
- Refrigerate any leftovers
Needless to say I made this pie last weekend so that I could prepare this post to share with you all. In fact, I meant to share it with you guys BEFORE National Pie Day in case you wanted to make it ON this special pie day…
So hopefully if you are still wanting to make this pie today, you either have all the ingredients in your house or can Instacart to get them asap!
I unfortunately ate that pie in about two days – I am pretty sure my husband ate one slice… which leaves the fact that the other 7 slices were eaten by yours truly 😬.
I told you I love Lemon Meringue Pie… actually almost everything sweet with lemon is a done deal for me… how about you? Do you love all things lemon???